Jewish Cemetery Vienna Währing
The association, which has set itself the goal of advancing the renovation of the Jewish Cemetery Währing, looks back on a very successful year 2020.
Renovation of the burial grounds on subplot 3 completed
The rehabilitation of the oldest part of the cemetery, sub-area 3, is the first result of the intensive efforts of the association since its foundation. Not least because of the historical photo material you can see very impressively what was created in this year.
Renovation of the burial grounds on sub-area 4 completed and on sub-area 5 started
The renovation of the gravesites on subplots 4 and 5 could be financed exclusively by the association and was essentially completed in 2020.
The course of the renovation work according to a precise plan
The restoration of the cemeteries will be carried out according to a precise plan agreed with the Federal Monuments Office, the Jewish Community and the Association, which is roughly as described below:
- Planning, status analysis, development of measures, remediation concept, handling of official approvals
- Renovation of the gravestones in coordination with the IKG, halachic control and the Federal Office for the Preservation of Monuments (BDA).
- 3D laser scans to document the terrain change as comparative scans before/after intervention according to. Specifications BDA
- Production of a horticultural test surface according to. newly revised park maintenance
- Construction supervision, quality assurance, documentation of measures
Our team on site
Again and again it happens that in the course of searching for ancestors genealogical inquiries are made to our association. In this area we receive support from Wolf-Erich Eckstein and Georg Gaugusch.
Our board members Jennifer Kickert, Andrea Schellner and Susanne Schober-Bendixen oversee the opening days of the cemetery.
Celebrities at the cemetery
On 13.9.2020, President of the National Council Mag. Wolfgang Sobotka visited the Jewish Cemetery Währing. At the Epstein family’s gravesite, he unpacked his gardening tools and cleared the grave of weeds.
Federal President Dr. Alexander Van der Bellen was able to see the state of restoration of the cemetery on 30.9.2020.
Vice Chancellor Werner Kogler also visited the Jewish Cemetery on 8.10.2020.
Proponents and sponsors
An essential part of the association’s work is the search for proponents who support the association with their expertise, their network or financially. In 2020, prominent personalities from the worlds of business, culture, art, religion and politics have once again been recruited as supporters.
Proponents: Johannes Abensberger, Renate Anderl, Dr. Hannes Androsch, Dr. Harry Bergmann, Dr. Brigitte Bierlein, Eva Blimlinger, Wolfgang Böck, Martin Böhm, Univ.Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Brandstetter, Aric Brauer, Dr. Emil Brix, Prof. Dr. Michael Bünker, Shlomit Butbul, Dr. Herbert Cordt, Oskar Deutsch, Dr. Christoph Dichand, Mercedes Echerer, Klaus Edelhauser, Mag. Karoline Edtstadler, Erhard Ernst, Werner Faymann, Dr. Annemarie Fenzl, Dr. Günter Geyer, Roman Grinberg, Dr. Heimo Hackl, KommRat Peter Hanke, Dr. Michael Häupl, Miguel Herz-Kestranek, Ing. Wolfgang Hesoun, Oliver Hirschbiegel, Prof. Dr. Josef Höchtl, Dr. Wolfgang Hofer, Univ.Prof. Dr. Clemens Jabloner, Wolfgang Jansky, UnivProf. Dr. Ulrich Jordis, Patricia Kahane, Josef Kalina, Veronika Kaup-Hasler, Wolfgang Katzian, Ing. Ewald Kirschner, Prof. Dr. Raoul Kneucker, Thomas Kralinger, Sebastian Kurz, Werner Kogler, Herbert Lackner, DDr. Michael Landau, Martin Lechner, Dr. Michael Ludwig, Martina Ludwig-Faymann, Mag. Dr. Harald Mahrer, Beate Meinl-Reisinger, Mag. Harald Neumann, Beatrix Neundlinger, Rainer Nowak, Univ.Prof. Dr. Edwald Nowotny, Dr. Christian Nusser, Cornelius Obonya, Dr. Josef Ostermayer, Hermann Petz, Caroline Pienkos, DDr. Horst Pirker, DI Josef Pröll, Dr. Johanna Rachinger, Christian Rainer, Dr. Claus Raidl, Dr. Pamela Rendi-Wagner, Mag. Marie Ringler, Dr. Walter Rothensteiner, DI Walter Ruck, Mag. Andreas Schieder, Mag. Martin Schlaff, Mag. Dr. Heide Schmidt, Richard Schmitt, Rabbi Arthur Schneier, HR Dr. Karl Schütz, Peter Schöber, E. Randol Schoenberg, Dr. Kurt Scholz, Dr. Timothy Smolka, Mag. Wolfgang Sobotka, Dr. Georg Springer, MMag. Oliver Stauber, Dr. Dwora Stein, Cardinal Dr. Christoph Schönborn, Alois Steinbichler, Erwin Steinhauer, Katharina Stemberger, DI Friedrich Stickler, Mag. Terezija Stojsits, Ing. Karl-Heinz Strauss, Karin Strobl, Dr. Hannes Sulzenbacher, Dr. Josef Taus, Dr. Paul Tesarek, Dr. Andreas Treichl, Armin Thurnher, Univ.Prof. Dr. Alexander Van der Bellen, Dr. Franz Vranitzky, Dr. Anton Wais, Stefan Wallner, Christiane Wenkheim, Dr. Alexander Wrabetz, Wolfgang Zehetner.
Sponsors and supporters: Our work would not be possible without sponsors, supporters and partners. At this point, many thanks for your support in 2020.
Statement of account 2020
The activities of the association in the past calendar year from 1.1.-31.12.2020 are also reflected in the income and expenses. As already shown on the previous pages, the association was able to finance the renovation of the gravesite on subplot 4 completely by itself due to generous donations. Partial area 5 is financed by the association 2021 from donations.
The total income amounted to EUR 79,702 and was used according to the purpose of the association as shown in the right column.
Outlook 2021 and 2022
- For the calendar year 2021 the rehabilitation of the cemeteries of the subareas 6, 7 and 8 is on the program. Funding will come from an already committed grant from the Chancellor’s Office.
- This funding will also allow for the rehabilitation of sub-areas 9 and 10 in 2022 and 2023. Approximately 200 to 230 gravestones per subarea will be repaired in accordance with the renovation concept shown on page 2.
- Implementation of the already developed exhibition concept and design of the exhibition space in the Tahara House.
- Cooperation with the Federal Office for the Protection of Monuments in the form that earmarked donations to the BDA in favor of the association are subject to tax deductibility.
- Continuation of volunteer days (dates: July 11, August 8, September 12, October 10, November 14).
- Monthly cemetery tours (dates: July 11, August 8, September 12, October 10, November 14, December 12).
Media owner and publisher: Verein Rettet den Jüdischen Friedhof Währing; Goldschmiedgasse 10, 1010 Vienna
Contributions: Mag. Andrea Schellner;
Photos: Mag. Andrea Schellner
Published once a year
Board of Directors: Chairman Günther W. Havranek, Deputy Chairman Dr. Jennifer Kickert, Deputy Chairman Dr. Ariel Muzicant, Director for Monument Protection/Care Dr. Gerbert Frodl, Secretary Dr. Susanne Schober-Bendixen, Treasurer Mag. Andrea Schellner, Director for Marketing Karl Javurek, Director for Religious Affairs Mag. Elie Rosen
Basic direction of the medium: restoration of the Währing Jewish Cemetery; raise funds to be used for the structural preservation of the cemetery grounds. Responsible: Günther W. Havranek
Association Save the Jewish Cemetery Währing, ZVR: 953840753; Info-Point Cemetery: Schrottenbachgasse 3, 1190 Vienna